Tampa Federal Drug Conspiracy Charges Attorney
When two or more people agree to commit a drug crime, it is considered a drug conspiracy. In the 1970s and 1980s, during the War on Drugs, law enforcement and federal prosecutors were given far-reaching powers by Congress. These powers include mandatory minimum sentences for many crimes, which can make it impossible to avoid time in prison if you are convicted. The elements of proof are not very strict, which makes it easier for the prosecution to secure a conviction. If you have been accused, it is important to speak to a Tampa federal drug conspiracy charges attorney who can help you retain your freedom.
Types of Drug Conspiracy Charges
There are four types of drug crimes that could lead to drug conspiracy charges under federal law. These are as follows:
- Manufacturing controlled substances: Manufacturing is defined as any action meant to further the production, preparation, processing, or extraction of a controlled substance.
- Distributing controlled substances: Just as it sounds, distributing is defined as delivering a controlled substance to another person, even if no money is exchanged.
- Possession with intent to distribute: Possession of a controlled substance is a separate and less serious offense than distribution or manufacturing. Still, if the prosecution can prove two or more people intended to distribute the drugs in their possession, conspiracy charges become much more serious.
- Importing a controlled substance: Similar to distribution, this offense involves importing illegal drugs into the country, usually by deceiving Border Patrol or U.S. Customs.
Penalties for Drug Conspiracy
The penalties for participating in a drug conspiracy vary depending on the type and quantity of drug involved. The penalties are as follows:
- Marijuana: A drug conspiracy that involves 100 kilograms or more of marijuana carries a mandatory minimum sentence of five years, but prison time can extend to up to 40 years. Cases that involve 1,000 kilograms or more have a mandatory minimum sentence of ten years.
- Methamphetamine: A drug conspiracy involving five grams or more of methamphetamine will result in between 5 and 40 years of prison time. There is no mandatory minimum when a case involves less than five grams, but the maximum sentence is 20 years in prison.
- Cocaine and crack cocaine: The 5 to 40 year sentence applies to conspiracies that involve 500 grams or more of cocaine or 28 grams or more of crack cocaine. Cases that involve five kilograms or more of cocaine or 280 grams or more of crack cocaine.
- Heroin: A drug conspiracy that involves 100 grams or more of heroin carries a sentence of between 5 and 40 years in federal prison. When a case involves one kilogram or more of heroin, the mandatory minimum sentence increases to ten years.
Call Our Federal Drug Conspiracy Charges Lawyer for Help with Your Case
If you have been charged with a drug conspiracy, there is a lot on the line. At OA Law Firm, our Tampa federal drug conspiracy charges attorney can provide the solid defense you need to beat the charges against you and retain your freedom. Call us now or contact us online to schedule a consultation and to learn more.